Cape Town and Stellenbosch 2017
Out of the Shadows: Rediscovering Jewish music and theatre
10-17 September 2017
In this section:
In the last of our international festivals, Performing the Jewish Archive presented a week-long celebration of music and theatre by Jewish artists of the twentieth century, pieces that have been neglected, forgotten and even thought lost forever, but now rediscovered via the work of the project team.
We were proud to feature performances with such major partners as the Cape Town Philharmonic Orchestra, Cape Town Holocaust Centre, Aviva Pelham, Matthew Reid, students and staff at Stellenbosch and Cape Town universities, Ivor Joffe, Choni Goldman, and the choirs of the Gardens and Green & Sea Point Synagogues, and both the Cape Town and the Endler (Stellenbosch) Concert Series.
Sunday 10th September, 6:30 PM
Cape Town Holocaust CentreRead more
Sunday 10th September, 4:30 PM
Gardens Synagogue, Cape TownRead more
Performing the Jewish Archive – Travelling Exhibition
Our travelling exhibition complements our Festival performances, giving an insight into the work of our research team. It tells the stories of Jewish artists and their works of art brought out of the shadows of the archive.
By engaging with the exhibition, you—our audiences—can become part of those stories. We challenge you to think through the questions we ask ourselves:
- How does reading stories and seeing performances help us understand the musicians and writers who created them?
- How does knowing these stories affect our experiences?
- What about stories never completed, artworks lost forever? Can we understand them more through performance?
- How can we honour fragmented stories, mourn such human and artistic losses?
- Can empathy help us understand these artists’ experiences?
We look forward to hearing your responses!
The exhibition will be on display at the Cape Town Holocaust Centre, and at various of the performance venues throughout the festival.